By Joy Johnson, Master Gardener
The month of October makes me think of the popular Harry Potter book (and film) series. Having several people in my family, as well as my neighborhood, who are really into Harry Potter, I thought I’d host a Hogwarts theme dinner party, which is perfect for the month of October. So, if you’re a wizard in training or just a muggle, these fun recipes will tickle your tongue and put you on the “A List” at Hogwarts.
Dementor Kissed Cucumber Slices
Peel and slice 4 cucumbers, soak covered in water overnight.
Drain and gently squeeze the water out.
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 TBSP white vinegar
- 2 TBSP sugar
- 2 TBSP dried mint, crumbled
Stir the sour cream mixture gently into the cucumbers, chill until serving time.
Pumpkin Juice is what OWLs and NEWTs drink at Hogwarts every day. It’s delicious and nutritious and uses fresh or frozen pumpkin.
- 34 ounces apple juice
- 1 cup of cooked fresh or frozen pumpkin flesh
- ½ cup Apricot jam
- ½ tsp cinnamon
Use an immersion blender or regular blender to combine the ingredients.
[Pumpkin juice recipe is from “The Unofficial Harry Potter Fan’s Cookbook” by Aurelia Beaupommier]
Harry Potter’s Favorite Dish is Beef Pie. I have used both regular and puff pastry for the top crust. Either one works fine but use regular crust for the bottom. Use a mini cookie cutter to cut a hole in the top crust to let out the steam.
- 2 lbs. beef steak
- 2 TBSP cornstarch or flour
- 4oz. mushrooms, either canned or fresh, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped into tiny cubes
- 1 large potato, peeled and chopped into tiny cubes
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1 TBSP canola oil
- 2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 1 TBSP tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 beaten egg
- Double pie crust
- 1 Puff pastry package
Process: (preheat oven to 350)
- Make enough dough for a double pie crust. Use individual sized pie plates or oven safe bowls, line with pastry.
- Cut the beef into ½ inch cubes. Pour the cornstarch or flour into a freezer bag, add the beef pieces then seal the bag and gently shake to coat all the meat.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan, add the beef, onion, carrots and potato, cook until meat has browned, and carrots are almost soft.
- Add the Worcestershire, tomato paste, beef broth, and thyme. Cover and simmer until sauce thickens.
- Gently ladle the beef mixture into the pie plates, cover with top crust or puff pastry, trim and seal edges.
- Brush pies with beaten egg
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Harry First Birthday Cake
For dessert, you can’t beat Harry first birthday cake. Use your favorite chocolate cake recipe or box mix. I highly recommend Betty Crockers white frosting mix. It’s not overly sweet and has a nice consistency. You mix it with boiling water and beat it for 5 minutes. Color the frosting to look like the fur of a Puffskein and the lettering to be the color of the moss on the north side of Hagrid’s hut. Remember Hagrid made this cake, so it’s ok if it’s less than perfect, it’s the love that shines through.